It's awesome finally having my country assignment! I get so excited every time I see something that has anything remotely to do with Peru, like the article in the Cape Cod Times about Olivia Newton John getting married in Cusco. I also just watched the Motorcycle Diaries, which is based on Che's journal entries as he traveled from Argentina, through Peru, up to Venezuela. I loved it and definitely recommend it. If I get the chance, I'd love to actually read his journals. I have so much I want to read on Peru it's overwhelming! My neighbor even gave me a book called Secret of the Andes that she used to read to children she taught in Argentina and later to her fourth grade class in the US. I've heard that there is plenty of time to read in the Peace Corps so if anyone has any book suggestions or favorite 1000 page novels, please let me know!
Even though it's great to know that I have an actual assignment and departure date, the thought of packing is just terrifying. I know I'll be perfectly fine with whatever I bring, but I don't even know what kind of luggage to bring my stuff in! Backpacker-type pack? Duffle bag? Rolly suitcase? The Peace Corps hasn't really provided me with a ton of specifics on what to bring. I did appreciate that peanut butter was on their list. I wish there was a way to bring a 2 year supply. One giant jar of Skippy will have to do until someone can bring me a fresh supply. As I learned from studying abroad in Mexico, trying to get things shipped from the US not only takes weeks (a package my parents sent me was stuck in Mexico City for 2 weeks), but also does not arrive in one piece (I think the Mexican government was jealous of my M&Ms and Nutella and helped themselves to a little snack). I'm gonna have to check out Eastern Mountain Sports soon for some of the survival gear I will need. Again, I'd love any suggestions or advice! Well I am off to work on my Peru Packing List.
Hasta la proxima vez,
Shannon
15 years ago

1 comment:
EMS, eh? Planning on working your charms on the salesguys again?
Post a Comment