
The last two weeks have been super busy! When I first moved out here, I was desperate to find anything to fill up my days, whether it was hiking two hours up to
To start, yesterday was my last day of summer school. We had a big end of summer school celebration called a clausura. The kids did a bunch of performances for the parents and municipality, and originally, I was supposed to sing Cielito Lindo and another song called San Marcos Tierra Milenaria with a chorus of kids, but I managed to get my way out of it and just play the drums (I had to channel my sixth grade xylophone skills for that one). 
Playing the drum
The teachers did convince me to put on a traditional Ancash costume for my musical debut though. All of the performances were great and I was really impressed, especially with the students who learned the Marinera, one of my favorite Peruvian traditional dances. But my favorite part of the whole day was presenting my fifth and sixth grade students’ big project- the Mapa Mundial. It turned out PERFECT! I mean, there were some small countries and islands missing and splotches of paint in the oceans, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. The students did all the work; I just supervised and labeled the countries. The teachers all complimented on it, the mayor came over and congratulated me, and I even got interviewed by the local TV station! It was a huge learning experience for me and gave me a whole new appreciation for teachers. Trying to keep the kids under control and yelling at them in Spanish was a challenge to say the least (I think I said ¡No toque! Don’t Touch! and ¡Espera! Wait! a million times). On top of everything, it’s Carnaval right now and the kids have been trying to hit me and my map with water balloons. Fortunately, I’ve escaped unscathed so far.
A few of the students with the Mapa Mundial
In addition to the map, Prof. Manuel and I laid out a bunch of the students’ works they had done over the last two months- collages, wreaths, etc.
Some of the students' masterpieces
The biggest compliment I got all day was other teachers asking if they could take samples of the projects to do with their students during the regular school year. That definitely made me feel good, especially since I didn’t get the best vibe from some of the teachers during summer school. I’m not sure if they were scared of me or felt threatened by me or what, but in the end I think they got used to having me there. After all the kids left, the teachers celebrated in the typical Conchucos valley way- by eating cuy. On Monday, the director of the school informed me that all the teachers had to bring a cuy for the celebration. So I planned on buying one from my host family. When the other teachers found out I was getting one from my family in Huarimayo (most of the teachers live in 
Picante de cuy
It’s also good to have other volunteers around on holidays, like Valentine’s day. For Valentine’s Day, I walked four hours to Claudia’s site. I passed by Chucos and picked up
As far as health work goes, my interviews for my community diagnostic are coming along. I’ve done a bunch but still have a lot more to do (we have to do 100!). The next couple weeks will be dedicated to finish up my encuestas and analyzing the data. I’ve been going house to house visiting the moms in Huarimayo and it was really intimidating at first. I’ve been going by myself because my counterpart in the health center is too busy and the NGO that works in my neighborhood is on vacation until March. I only have until our 3 month Reconnect on March 16 to get it all done! It will keep me busy though that’s for sure! Until next time.

5 comments:
your map is beautiful, you little teacher, you!
I missed you on Valentines day too! Luckily I had JP take me out to lunch at one of our mexican restuarant hangouts in our neighborhood.
Your map turned out great! What a spectacular art teacher you are. I also particularly enjoy your hat that goes with your traditional dress. When I visit I might have to purchase a hat for myself.
The map looks great. Perhaps more significantly, you are the tallest person in that photograph.
In case you're wondering, tu novio missed you so much on Valentine's Day that he tried to make a pass at me a week later.
There's a television station in San Marcos?
Great job on the Mapa Mundial!
Yay! Conchucos power! :)
Send my saludos to everyone!!
You look beautiful in your costume and the blue ribbon on your hat is fabulous! So glad to hear you're doing well and keeping busy!! :D
Post a Comment